Saturday, October 30, 2010

Woodlands Sunset # 2


Norfolk is famous for its sunsets, the primary contributing factors being a flat landscape with  an expansive sky and plenty of water laying around to refract light onto clouds. This photo was taken  a few hours before  the temporary (introduced  in 1914) daylight saving measure of British Summer Time ends. On reflection  however, the act of turning  the clock back appears a singularly apt phrase to describe the present-day state of the nation.

3 comments:

teegee said...

I appreciate your differentiation of regional sunsets. I used to wonder about that when I lived in New York City, where the sun set over flat New Jersey on the other side of the meteorologically insignificant Hudson River. I was used to brighter, you might say flashier sunsets over the Pacific, seen from the Berkeley hills through the Golden Gate or from California beaches such as Oceano, or from Greece, across the Mediterranean. When I moved to the east bank of the Mississippi, I had again the sunsets over flat land, over a good 1000 miles of Louisiana and Texas. And I recall that the English sunsets I remember were from Cornwall, so I never say any like yours.

Anonymous said...

I wonder about sunsets too, if it's something else besides a large viewing area that makes some areas flashier than others! I've been bragging about Arizona's sunsets since I moved here but I see we have nothing on Norfolk. Gorgeous photo.

Kevin Faulkner said...

Hi Finanoutlet!

Well i would not say Arizona's sunsets are any better or lesser than Norfolk's. people get attached to the soil and are loyal to their particular beauty. Would it be because of dust-refraction that Arizona's famed for its sunsets?